Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You'd Better Not Mess With Major Tom

It's been a week since my last post! I've wanted to post all week but I just haven't had the opportunity which was very frustrating because I really wanted to! This past week I've gone out with my work friends, attended a short film screening and caught up with friends I haven't seen in a while, had coffee and lunch with my mam, window shopped, bought birthday presents, bought a new wardrobe, watched 4 episodes of Arrested Development, 2 episodes of Weeds, 4 episodes of Medium, 3 episodes of Breaking Bad, 6 episodes of Everwood and the last ever UK Big Brother, saw Jonah Hex, The Switch and Cyrus in the cinema, rewatched The Puffy Chair, I was told something that made my jaw drop for 5 minutes and which I am still trying to get my head around, I drank 3 glasses of wine and 3 cocktails and listened to Warpaint, David Bowie, Beach House, Arcade Fire, The National and Roxy Music.

I also had a long conversation about friendship with Donnacha steming from a viewing of I Love You, Man of all things. I had been thinking about how the idea behind the film is so strange because no one really ever actively seeks out a friend as they would a partner. Men and women don't get dressed up and go to clubs and drink in the hopes of scoring a friend. I've had so many friendship issues during my reasonably short life that I now find it so difficult to let people into my life. I'm a firm believer from experience that certain friendships are meant for certain periods in your life and they tend to run their course and fizzle out or sometimes end abruptly, just like with a romantic relationship.

I've had friends in primary school, secondary school, church, college and work most of whom for whatever reason I am no longer in contact with (facebook doesn't really count). There are two people who I have been friends with for as long as I can remember and I'm lucky because they are the kind of people who will always be in my life and I will always be in contact with them one way or another. I am very reserved when in the company of people I don't know well or have just met and I'm hopeless at initiating a conversation with someone unless we immediately have something big in common to talk about. I am painfully shy in social situations unless I have had a glass of wine or something and only then am I able to talk a bit more openly to people I don't know well. I so wish I could be as outgoing as my mother who could literally have a conversation with a complete stranger about anything. In my experience, to find someone who you can sit and talk with for hours on end over coffee is so rare and I'm very lucky to have several people in my life who I'm that comfortable and at ease with. I have issues with trust and therefore I find it so hard to open up to someone and let them be a part of my life and when I do I put a lot of myself into the relationship and I expect the same in return.

The hard part of friendships for me is when I am so willing to be there for someone and make an effort to keep the friendship going especially when the circumstances in which you first met and got to know that person change and it becomes increasingly difficult to find time together and life just always seems to get in the way and for some reason the other person doesn't want to make the effort any more. In the past I've found it hard to let go and I've tried and tried but after several failed attempts I've learned that in situations like that you just have to accept things and move on and realise that it obviously wasn't meant to be, that that person was only meant to be in your life for that particular period of time. It makes things easier to deal with.

Have you had any similar experiences?

I finally got around to taking some outfit photographs the other day, here they are;









It was very windy so there was a lot of upskirting!
























I love the gold buttons on the dress









My shoes are from Vintage Urban Renewal, my dress is from Cardigan Girl, the necklace is from Jewel Me Pretty, my bag is from the Irish Cancer Society shop in Capel Street, the hat is from Dorset Country Lane and the lipstick is Revlon Matte- Wine Not.

What do you think? Do you like my new hat? I really love it, but I can't wear it when it's windy or it blows off my head!

How has your week been? I hope to not leave it as long between posts next time!



Doesn't David Bowie have the best accent?

Em xxx


6 comments:

  1. ME TOO!!! I'm going to see them next month! I can't wait. The reason I picked Ashes to Ashes for the post title is because I heard their cover of it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just visited Jewel Me Pretty. I'm in love with it :) I love your hat. Your bag was a great find too. Kind of a weird question but where did you get your socks? I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you! My sock are from Dunnes, I got them on sale about a month ago for €1! Don't know if they still have them though!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pictures are fantastic:)

    i will follow you. If you follow me:

    http://maria-louie.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like your new hat! Totally amazing is what it is. :) Your whole outfit is adorable.

    I have had a few experiences like what you were talking about. I think you're right. Some people just aren't meant to be in our lives forever. This has been a hard thing for me to deal with because I become attached to people quite easily. When I was a kid all of my good friends (including my best friend) moved away and I was left with only one somewhat good friend. It wasn't until recently that I've aquired some new really good friends.

    I think that if 2 friends are both really in it for the long run and want to make an effort to stay in touch and if they're meant to be in each other's lives then it will work out. I understand why it would be hard to let people in for fear that you would end up hurt. But great friendships are worth the risk, I think.

    Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope you're having a lovely week!

    :o)Sarah

    P.S. I forgot to mention that I do have a friend who has always been there and always will be. Jesus! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...