Thursday, June 30, 2011

Film Style Inspiration- Enid Coleslaw (Ghost World)

I almost thought I wouldn't get to do a Film Style Inspiration post this month, but luckily we went out and took these photos today just as June comes to a close.

This is another case of me taking very loose inspiration from a film character's style, yet again I want to explain that these posts are not intended as me dressing up in a costume of the person, but more taking elements of that characters style and incorporating it into my own personal style while remaining true to my style. However it is fun to play around with it and try things I haven't before.

This time it was Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World. I first saw Ghost World and read the graphic novel at a time in my life where for better or worse I could relate to Enid's world view. I still can, however now I see her flaws more than anything else and I think how annoying she would be if she were a real person and a friend at that. Despite all this I still think she is a great character and the fact that she was written by a man makes her even better. I am also a fan of Thora Birch ( ever since I saw her in All I Want For Christmas when she was about five!) and I think she played really embodied the character and made her her own compared to the graphic novel. Also, for those of you who have seen it how great is Steve Buscemi? and how awkward are some of his scenes?

Enid 7
Enid 6

Enid 5

Enid3


Enid's style is probably the most eclectic of the characters I have posted about so far. Her style seems to be based around that of certain girls at a certain time in their life. She wears a mixture of vintage t-shirts, blouses and dresses, bold prints, military boots, leather jackets, various hair colours, and kooky headgear like a fluffy hair band and even a leather mask she bought in an adult store. My outfit is a tame version of some of these things (I decided against the leather mask). I went for some different lipstick too because Enid wears some interesting make up colours throughout the film.

We took the photos in a graffiti covered lane behind Whelans because I wanted a more Urban feel to the shoot. It's definitely a different set of photos than you would normally see here, but I really like them and I hope you do too!


EC5

EC3

EC1

EC2

EC7

EC8

EC10

EC9

EC11

EC13

EC15

EC16

EC17

Glasses- Penneys
Necklace and Bangle- Accessorize
T-Shirt- Not sure, maybe Tower Records years ago (It's a Shins Tee)
Skirt- Marks and Spencers
Dr. Martens- TK Maxx possibly 7 or 8 years ago! (and they were super cheap too!)
Jacket- F&F at Tesco
Watch- Casio from Argos
Lipstick- Revlon 'Black Cherry'


Thank you once again for all the wonderful comments recently. I'm so blessed to have such lovely readers and I want you all to know how much I appreciate you taking the time to read about my humble life let alone write comments for me!

I'll leave you with a great song from the soundtrack;



5 comments:

  1. This is a marvelous set of pictures, Emma! The shooting locations and backdrops make you and your outfits pop. You look gorgeous!

    You don't have to coax me to give Ghost World a try because I've seen it several times and it's one of my favorite movies. The prodigious, highly intelligent Thora Birch has long been one of my favorite actresses. In addition to Ghost World I have enjoyed her performances in Paradise, All I Want for Christmas, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, Alaska, American Beauty and Homeless to Harvard. Steve Buscemi is a brilliant character actor and I could relate to his portrayal of Seymour, a nerdy, reclusive collector of old vinyl recordings. And who can forget his performance in Fargo? I always go for the small, anti-Hollywood indie films and have the greatest respect for the actors who appear in them. My recommendation to you, dear friend Emma, is that you watch Ruby in Paradise (1993) starring Ashley Judd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH I LOVE GHOST WORLD!

    Also, in the picture after the picture of the glasses close up I couldn't see you at first and got a little bit excited when I found you in the doorway. Kind of like Where's Wally.

    You do a brilliant Enid, these photos even give off a little bit of her attitude, and that ain't easy! I think it's that raised eyebrow that really helps nail it lol.

    Much love to you and Donnacha, I hope he is doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a fun and quirky film. I think you did a great job interpreting the character. Now can we talk about how awesome this tune is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Such a great style icon and your interpretation of it is perfect. You look amazing in those glasses! Steve Buscemi can do no wrong in my eyes. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...