Saturday, June 15, 2013

Five Songs...

...I've been listening to recently




I first heard this song because Childish Gambino used it in his song New Prince. It's also used in the trailer for Sofia Coppola's new film The Bling Ring which I'm so excited to see. This won't be to everyone's taste but I love listening to it when I want to hear something really loud.   




I've been trying to get into French music and I discovered this after reading up about the soundtrack to Quentin Tarantino's Death Proof. One of the songs on that soundtrack is Chick Habit by April March which is an English language version of Serge Gainsbourg's song Laisse Tomber Les Filles. April March recorded the French version too but I love this one which was originally recorded by France Gall in 1964. 




There seems to be a film theme going on here as this New Order song opens the film American Psycho. It's a great used of music in film and I was fortunate enough to get to see New Order perform this live last year. 




Yet another film song, I'm Deranged is on David Bowie's album, Outside from 1995. It was also used in the opening and closing credits of David Lynch's 1997 film Lost Highway, which if you haven't seen is definitely worth watching (although if you don't like David Lynch, you probably won't like it). This is such an eerie song, perfect for a Lynch film. 




I've been listening to Beck again quite a bit recently. I loved Guero when it was first released and it's always great to go back and rediscover an album you once loved. This is actually a bonus track on a Limited Edition release of the album, but it is one of my favourites. 



What have you been listening to recently, all suggestions welcome, I love finding new music!

Emma x

7 comments:

  1. Hello, dear Emma!

    Electronic/alternative/noise pop is an acquired taste but I got into Sleigh Bells.

    I'm surprised I never heard of France Gall all these years even though she's two years older than me and practically a legend in her native country. I enjoyed this vintage clip.

    I am also wondering why I never saw American Psycho because Chloe Sevigny is one of my favorite actresses. I urge you to see her co-starring with Kate Beckinsale in The Last Days of Disco, one of my favorite movies. I also recommend the other two films in that Whit Stillman trilogy: Metropolitan and Barcelona.

    You and I have very similar tastes, including Sofia Coppola, Quentin Tarantina, and the next featured clip from David Lynch. Particia Arquette has fascinated me ever since her debut in 1987 in A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. Lost Highway came ten years later and she finally gained more widespread fame in the new millennium in her hit TV series Medium.

    You know me by now, Emma. I always welcome the chance to experience different types of music and I thank you for these selections. Along with the movies I recommended I urge you to try three albums by Sam Phillips: The Indescribable Wow, Cruel Inventions and Martinis & Bikinis. Sam's songs were used in the soundtrack of my all time favorite movie, Ashley Judd's Ruby in Paradise, and on Gilmore Girls.

    Have a wonderful weekend, dear Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I was able to introduce you to some new artists Tom, as you always do for me! I encourage you to watch American Psycho if you get a chance, it's tough going in places, but such an incredible performance form Christian Bale. Of course I know Sam Phillips, I love her songs used in Gilmore Girls!

      Delete
  2. I've downloaded a couple of these! Love the French one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. crown on the ground is so epic!
    did you see new order in the forbidden fruit festival by any chance?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Can't wait to see Bling Ring this weekend! Yeah I saw New Order last year at FF, never thought I'd get to see them!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate every single one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...